This post demonstrates you how to create a free website. In today’s world most of the websites are built using frameworks. Some of the famous open source frameworks are WordPress, Joomla, Drupal. They are also known as Content Management System[CMS]. Among the websites you com across daily most of them are built using these three platforms.
A framework is nothing but a half built solution for an application. In fact if you learn wordpress or joomla installation nothing more is needed to build your own website because these frameworks provide almost everything you required to build a customized website. So to create a free website it costs nothing but just your time.
This post explains you how to create a free website using wordpress from scratch. You can find step by step explanations. A person having no knowledge of php, html can create a website in five minutes. You can also go through the video which gives the clear picture about installation.
I will take you through the steps how to install wordpress.
- Go to http://wordpress.org/download/ Download the latest wordpress files. It will be in Zipped format Unzip it.
- you can try the installation on local server. In fact it is the best practice to learn any web application. I would suggest you WampServer, xampp server . Both are open source servers.
- Go to http://www.wampserver.com/en/ -> downloads. Download the latest WampServer and install it.
- Go to Windows->start->start_WampServer and click on it. This is to start your wampserver.
- You can find the wampserver icon on your task bar. Left click on that icon and then click on localhost. [Alternative way :: Open any web browser and type localhost then hit enter. (If you have chosen any port number while installing then include that one in the url. e.g. localhost:8080) ]
- If you get the this default page, it means your WampServer is working properly.
- Now you need one database to store the post,comments, user details. So again Left click on WampServer icon located in task bar and click on phpMyAdmin.
- Give a name to your database and click on create database.
- Now you need to upload wordpress files to File Manager. www directory acts as file manager in WampServer.
- Left click on WampServer icon located in task bar and click on www_directory and copy your unzipped wordpress files into www [copy whole wordpress folder into www].
- Now you have to enter your database name, database username and database password into configuration file of wordpress. This step is to connect your wordpress to the database which you have created in step 8.
- So go to www/wordpress then create a copy of wp-config-sample.php and rename it to wp-config.php and update the details.
- Now type http://localhost/ or http://127.0.0.1/ on any browser and go to Your Project and click on wordpress.
- Now you will get wordpress welcome page. fill the Site title and other details and click on install wordpress.
- Now Login into your account with the username and password you have chosen and start customizing your website.
Go through this video to understand the process clearly.
You can download further themes and plugins from http://wordpress.org website. And there are many other sources who provide wordpress themes and plugins you can google and get them. You can also search for terms like ‘best plugins’ or ‘must have plugins for wordpress’ in google. This is how I too learnt. You also learn it and share it. Blogging is really fun. You will enjoy it for sure. Just give a try first.
If you have any doubts or problems you can comment here. If you need any help about customizing, changing themes, adding plugins you can comment here. I will reply you back.