The proposed fuel saver system uses radio frequency transmitting and receiving technique to communicate messages which controls the ON or OFF of the vehicle engines in traffic signals, there by optimizing fuel consumption and also at the same time reducing pollution (air and noise pollution). The system is fully automated with no any interfaces.
The industrial revolution brought a number of developments, innovations & inventions at a very high & fast rate. The changes led to super fast growth of industries townships, new means of communication, new means & methods of transportation & discovery of machines for a total impact on human development. This led to exploring of newer forms of energy sources like fossil fuels. The exploration & use of fossil fuel on a larger scale led to high rate of industrialization and development. But unfortunately under the influence of this development, man totally forgot that the fossil fuels are non-renewable. Looking the way in which these fossil fuels are being used, that day is not far off when nothing would be left to be utilized.
The fuel resources which are non-renewable and presently available can last only for about 50 years. Being aware of this rapidly exhaustible resource the serious thought is need to be given for its conservation. The most vulnerable resource is oil-Petrol, Diesel and Kerosene. The increase in the number of automobiles is multiplying every year leading to the use of fuel at a larger extent. The fastest resource that is getting exhausted is the fuel resource, hence there is an urgent need for conserving the fuel resources. The common place where the engines of vehicles are not switched off when the traffic is halting. To study the impact of keeping the engines switched on during the traffic halts at signals is of prime importance.
The implementations requires every vehicle to be fitted with the RF receiver and a micro-controller. And also each lane leading to the traffic signal should have a pole with a micro-controller and a transmitter circuit, to transmit the lane id, then lastly at each traffic signal we again need a micro-controller and a transmitter circuit to send the lane ids sequentially for 30 seconds each.
Firstly the vehicle when it enters the lane which leads to a traffic signal, it will receive a lane id which becomes the identity of all the vehicles belonging to that lane, the lane id received by the vehicle receiver is stored by the micro-controller present in the vehicle. When the vehicle comes to halt at the traffic signal, the vehicle receiver receives the lane id transmitted by the signal transmitter. The vehicle micro controller then matches this lane id received, with the stored lane id which it had received when it entered the lane leading to traffic signal. Now if the lane ids match, then the vehicle micro controller sends a START engine command, which starts the engine in case it is off. Contrarily if the lane ids do not match then the vehicle micro-controller sends a OFF engine command, which will turn the vehicle engine OFF.
Hardware and Software Interfaces
1) 89s5x trainer kit
1) Kiel tool
2) SPG burner
- Absolutely no user interfaces. It is a fully automated system.
- Only administrator is provided with privileges to reprogram the system whenever necessary.
1) Signal is weak and may not travel longer distances.
2) Heavy motor vehicles may block the propagation of signal.
3) Limited memory of the micro controller restricts from adding sophisticated features.
1) The Project has a wider scope, it can be used in almost all places where there is a traffic signal.
2) It can work in the places where the temperature ranges between -55oC to 125oC.
3) It is a fully automated system (no any user interfaces) hence anybody who owns a vehicle can use it without the requirement of any knowledge about it.
1) Reduction in Air and Noise Pollution
2) Optimization of Fossil Fuel usage
3) Better implementation of traffic rules
4) System could be set up in any vehicle in any part of the world.
1)All vehicles have to be fitted with this additional kit and radio signal transmitters and other external circuitry should be set up at strategic points where needed by the system.
2)Proper encryption methods should be used for the signals (signals between vehicles and signals between the vehicles and environment) employed
1. Semi Automated Drive system: A drive system that would automatically take care of few parameters of the vehicle (Speed limit, No honking zones, no parking zones etc) and reducing the number of parameters for the driver to consider. Thus, allowing him/her to concentrate more on the road and less on other things.
2. To regulate fuel usage in all kinds of engines. This system could be fit into vehicle running on non conventional fuels (hydrogen fuel, solar powered etc) to regulate the fuel usage for optimization.
3. Regulate vehicles to run at optimum speed: System would assist the driver to drive at an optimum speed (speed at which the output power of the vehicle is high considering low emissions by the vehicle), keeping road conditions and vehicle model in mind etc.
4. Drive assist in hilly sections Due to narrow roads, only one vehicle would be capable of negotiation a turn at once. When two vehicles approach from both sides, a signalling point could be set up at the point of the turn and the vehicles could communicate with each other and the signal. Thereby assisting each other to safely negotiate the turn.
5. Intelligent Braking System Vehicle communication is the vehicle moving ahead brakes suddenly applies brakes, the driver of the vehicle behind will have very less time to react to it. To minimize the effects, signals can be sent to the vehicles behind as the vehicle applies brakes suddenly and necessary actions could be taken.
Though the initial setting up charges do apply, but the system is cheaper with a complete module (transmitter or the receiver) not costing more than Rs 600 which is not a huge amount. The long term benefits are very high. The system is highly reliable and don’t need much of maintenance. Hence once set up it can be used to save large amount of fuel, which not only reduces fuel consumption but also reduces air pollution which in turn reduces global warming, and the chain goes on.