Powerful addictive properties of nicotine and the habitual behavior of smoking create a huge hurdle, even for those who has a strong desire to quit. Worldwide, tobacco use causes nearly 6 million deaths per year. Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. If smoking continues at the current rate among U.S. youth, 5.6 million of today’s Americans younger than 18 years of age are expected to die prematurely from a smoking-related illness. So, there are only two options left for smokers i.e. either to suffer the consequences or quit smoking. But now, the modern world comes with a third option i.e Electronic cigarette which involves the use of alternative and much safer sources of nicotine with the goal to reduce smoking-related diseases. The E-cigarette is one of the most promising options.
How does Electronic cigarette work?
E-cigarettes are electrically-driven devices consisting of a lithium battery, an atomizer where the liquid is stored and is particulated by applying energy and generating heat to a resistance enclosing a wick. The liquid used in it consists of glycerol, propylene glycol, distilled water, flavors, and nicotine. Consumers may choose from several nicotine strengths, including non-nicotine liquids, and a countless list of flavors. While it’s true that many cigarette manufacturers add extra chemicals to their product for the sake of making them extra addictive or supposedly “tasty,” many of the problematic compounds in the smoke come simply from the burning of tobacco. This puts you at heightened cancer risk. The lack of combustion in e-cigarettes gives them an advantage right out of the gate since they don’t produce actual smoke.
- First-generation devices, generally imitating the size and look of regular cigarettes and consisting of small lithium batteries and cartomizers. Batteries may be disposable or rechargeable.
- Second-generation devices consist mainly of higher-capacity lithium batteries and atomizers with the ability to refill them with liquid. In the most recent atomizers, you can simply change the atomizer head while keeping the body of the atomizer which reduces the operating costs.
- Third-generation devices also called ‘Mods’ consist of very large-capacity lithium batteries with integrated circuits that allow vapers to change the voltage or power (wattage) delivered to the atomizer.
Differences with normal Cigarette:
The mechanism of smoking is completely different for e-cigarettes and traditional cigarettes. In the case of normal cigarettes, they use the process of ignition to convert solid nicotine into smoke. The combusted smoke contains several cancer-causing elements and other harmful chemical compounds which are a serious threat to the smoker’s body. On the other hand, the smoke generated by e-cigs is a form of heated e-liquid or water vapor which is less harmful to the smoker and also for the environment.
From various researches, it has been found that traditional cigarettes contain 4000 injurious chemical products amongst which 43 are cancer-causing elements. On the other part, E-cig does not use tobacco for smoking and only two carcinogens namely diethyl glycol and Tobacco-specific nitrosamines are found. E-cigs have liquefied nicotine and produce less harmful water vapor instead of harmful smoke. There was a time when tobacco cigarettes have no mouthpieces. To reduce the health hazards related to smoking, new and innovative cigarettes are being discovered. E-cigs are the most revolutionary form of cigarette which can increase the fitness and health level of the consumer.
In terms of cost, e-cigs are 75% cheaper than the traditional cigars. E-cigs are rechargeable and e-liquid can be refilled. In lots of countries, normal cigarettes are banned whereas e-cigarettes are gaining popularity day-by-day.
Advantages of Electronic Cigarettes
Helps Quit Smoking:
E-cigs also contain a small amount of nicotine. But they are not as addictive, due to the low dosage. In fact, many people have successfully used e-cigarettes and quit smoking gradually. The number of people who successfully quit continues to grow by the day. As time passes, your body slowly gets used to the decreasing nicotine level.
More than 7,000 chemicals present in a traditional cigarette such as carcinogens and carbon monoxide, just to mention a few. Generally, the sizes of the combusted particulates in smoke are so tiny that they can deeply penetrate into lung tissues without much ado. On the other hand, an e-cigarette is a device that simply vaporizes a liquid and doesn’t in any way burn any combustible materials. Apart from nicotine, the other two are food additives which are not harmful to the body.
Saves loads of money:
Another major advantage of the e-cigarette is that it is much cheaper. E-cigs can be used several times since they are replaceable. This is completely different when compared to traditional cigarettes which are not only addictive but are also quite expensive and not reusable.
Disadvantages of E-cigarettes
- A 2010 research paper published in Tobacco Control suggests that the e-cigarette lacks important regulatory factors, such as essential health warnings, proper labeling, clear instructions on how to use them and safe disposal methods. The authors of the study also found that some of the e-cigarette cartridges leaked, which could cause toxic exposure to nicotine.
- Electrical accidents and fires: The electronic equipment of e-cigs may be the cause of accidents. E-cigs are mainly composed of lithium batteries. There have been reports of explosions of batteries, caused either by prolonged charging and use of improper chargers or by design defects. Similar accidents have occurred with batteries of other popular devices, such as mobile phones. Therefore, this does not occur specifically with e-cigs, however, quality standards of production should be used in order to avoid such accidents.
- E-cigs may contain ingredients that are known to be toxic to humans and may contain other ingredients that may not be safe. Because e-cigarette manufacturers are not required to submit clinical study data to them, the public has no way of knowing whether e-cigs are safe for their intended use, what types or concentrations of potentially harmful chemicals are found in these products, or how much nicotine they are inhaling when they use these products.
What Krazytech thinks about Electronic Cigarettes?
Although both, traditional ones and e-cigs are not good for health, e-cigarette causes lesser damage to the body as it contains a minimal level of nicotine. We are not sure how much e-cigs are effective in helping people to quit smoking as it needs strong will power too. E-cigs do not release poisonous gasses. This an advantage for the people accompanying smokers and also to the environment.
E-cigarettes do cause some diseases because of flavoring agents and nicotine. E-liquids contain nicotine, which increases the risk of high blood pressure and diabetes, as well as flavoring agents that may cause a chronic lung disease called bronchiolitis obliterans. High-wattage vaporizers may also generate significant amounts of formaldehyde and other toxins.
E-cigarette use is increasing in young people. It has always happened that one bad habit has led to many others. Use of e-cigs may cause teenagers to get attracted towards other drugs.